I used fabrics I’d had in my stash for a long while—Echino prints and Cloud 9 Geocentric canvas—all on heavier substrates, which I thought would make for a nice, sturdy bag. And indeed it did, although I think it made the layers a little thicker and more challenging to sew through.
I didn’t wind up having enough of the exterior Echino fabric and so pieced in some Cloud 9, and I’m pleased with the result and will definitely make the bag again, although doing some batch sewing (making several at once) would be more efficient.
I also highly recommend the Quilt Barn sew-along tutorial from last March. It broke steps down even further than the instructions and was super helpful.